Updated August 28, 2017
Shenandoah Valley Black Heritage Project
Future Heritage Center
We are happy to announce we are the recipients of a $20,000.00 grant from the Shenandoah Valley Soil & Water Conservation District.
With the amazing help of Karen Brooks Hopkins, we received a grant of $4,500.00 from the Green Foundation! Thank you Karen!
In addition we have a matching grant from Michael Demick of up to $1,000.00. Your donation will be doubled! Thank you Michael!
What's Happening At Future The Heritage Center ?
- Building Permits are being filed with the help of our friend Johann Zimmermann of JZ Structural Engineers. Thank you Johann!
- Our Asbestos check has been completed and there is no asbestos in the building.
- Our Electrical Upgrade is underway and has been funded. We are using cost effective convection heaters and LED lighting fixtures.
- With the help of the grant and recent donations we are able to fund the rest of the work necessary on the inside of the house. This includes a wider doorway at the back of the building, increasing the size of the bathroom, rearranging the bathroom fixtures to accommodate wheelchairs etc. and adding a door into the future computer room.
- We are now fundraising for our parking project. With our grant we will receive a reimbursement of 75% of our project up to $20,000.00. This is a huge help! We raise $30,000.00 for our paving and get $20,000.00 back. We will be paving our driveway and three spaces behind the building. This will be permeable paving.
- A new handicapped entrance and ramp will be added to the back of the building adjacent to the paved parking area.
- A garden of native plants is planned for the side of the house with a bench for visitors.
Many Thanks to our generous building fund donors!
Shenandoah Valley Soil & Water Conservation District, Karen Brooks Hopkins and the Green Foundation, Stacy Mechlin, Michael Demick, Barbara Lewis, Robin Lyttle, Richard Baugh, Kevin & Jere Borg, Johann Zimmermann, Carla Perlo, Richard Pilkington, Earl Martin and the Carpenter's Guild, Sharon Barber and Jackie Wells.
Want to help? Please donate to our building fund by sending your check payable to:
281 N Mason St #1538
Harrisonburg, VA 22802
or go to our web page: Please Donate! for more payment options.
Please go to our Contributions page to learn more about our wonderful donors.
And to the many who have given us cash donations. THANK YOU!
Please go to our Events page to learn more about upcoming events.
We are a not for profit 501(C)3 organization! Go to Donate page to make a donation!
The year has been filled with wonderful events and more to come!
Go to our Latest page to see photos of events and information on our upcoming events.
LISTEN AND ENJOY!
I am always amazed by the talented musicians of the Valley.
Here is 95 year old, Wallace Redd. He visited with us in March of 2016 and performed like he was 20 again.
Some of the Valley's most talented musicians joined us in March. Wallace Redd, Annie Toles and Robert Jackson's can be heard here and on our Musicians page.